ADOPTED ON 05-31-14 Personality and temperament aren’t cast in stone at birth. Puppies come in to this world with a clean slate and at this age, their personalities have not been formed, they are sweet and innocent.
Meshach is a German Shepherd mix that desperately needs your help! He could have had a hard life and not been treated well by others but he was rescued by Winnsboro Dog Pound. This does not mean he is out of danger, the dog pound is full and when that happens, the town officials start talking about what dogs to euthanize. They have already selected a list of dogs and can walk in and euthanize them at any time without any notice to the volunteers that know them and lovingly take care of them.
Meshach needs a second chance to live out the rest of his years as a happy, healthy dog with an owner who loves him unconditionally. Doesn’t every dog deserve this? I just need an owner who will help me know I am safe. He is very sweet, well balanced, and ready for a permanent home. We hope that home is yours!
ABOUT THE SHEPHERD BREED
German Shepherd Dog is a few of the dog breeds with the highest IQ, does shed a lot and requires ordinary brushing. They are easy to train, may be a bit reserved, aloof and wary of intruders. They are not generally dog aggressive, are children friendly and good with kids. They are known to be significantly playful; they love to be with the family, and rarely (if ever) try to escape. It is a dog that can get used to be home alone for a few hours every day.
PUPPIES BEHAVIOR, GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Each stage of Puppy Growth and development is fascinating; by the time it reaches its first birthday a puppy is considered a mature, adult dog. Puppy Growth rate is fast compared to humans, just compare a puppy of 8 weeks to a baby of the same age.
One of the most common questions asked about a puppys growth and development rate refers to the eventual size of the puppy. How big will the puppy grow? How can you determine the adult size of a puppy? A young puppy is tiny and cute – everyone loves puppies! But will the puppy be suited to your environment? How much exercise will be required for a full grown dog? Will the puppy be a suitable pet for children? The breed of the puppy will determine the answers to these questions. A general response to the size and growth rate of a puppy and the adult size of a puppy is therefore not possible – it needs to be specific to the puppy’s breed.
3 to 7 Weeks Old
• Weaned between the ages of 3 and 7 weeks
• During the ages of 3 to 7 weeks its first teeth, or milk teeth will appear
• Taught basic behavior disciplines from its mother
• Develop by socializing with other dogs and animals and people
• Will stand up and start walking
• At the age of 3 weeks a puppy will develop its sense of smell
• At 3 weeks the puppy will begin to bark and show social development such as wagging its tail, growling and baring its teeth
• Up to the age of 4 weeks the mother will be with the puppy almost constantly
• The puppy has good use of its legs and is able to chase
• Between 4 and 5 weeks the mother will gradually spend time away from her puppies
• Rapid growth and development rate at this stage
• Interaction with litter mates leading to Order of Dominance
• After weaning puppies need to receive a series of vaccines in order to develop immunity on their own. Vaccinations for puppies generally
include distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parainfluenza, parvovirus, rabies, and sometimes Bordetella
7 to12 weeks
• Puppies are usually found new homes at this age it starts focusing attention on its owner rather than other puppies
• The first fear period of the puppy begins
• A puppy starts to learn it name but still has a short attention span
• The puppy will start house training
• At first, the puppy should be fed four times a day. (Feedings should be reduced to twice a day by the time a puppy is mature or
even once a day in the case of a dog that gets little exercise)
• The puppies motor skills improve
• The puppy will use its basic instincts to naturally explore its new environment and the different things within it
• Puppies will still sleep a lot and grow as they are sleeping. During times of stress, a dog raises its hackles – the hair along the neck and spine
• Puppy training must begin and pups need to be made aware of your rules
12 to 16 weeks
• The first of the permanent teeth will work through
• Ensure the puppy has plenty of attention and toys to play with
• At this age a puppy might demonstrate Pack Leader Behavior and test who is the Boss. A puppy will challenge your authority
• Puppy Growth and Development & Behavior between 4 and 8 months
• The adult teeth continue to come through and during this time puppies need to chew! The incisors and the canines are very important
because the dog bites and tears at its food with these teeth
• Provide them with items to chew
• The confidence of the puppy will now have grown as would its physical size
• The puppy will be showing interest in chasing other Puppies at this age and starts to become independent
8 months to 1 year
• Feeding frequency should be considered – reduce to 2 or 3 meals per day
• Some dogs reach sexual maturity at the age of eight months
• The puppy is old enough to start Obedience Classes or a professional training program
• The puppy would have grown to approximately half to three quarters the size of and adult
• Female dogs would have probably reached their eventually height but will to continue to’fill out’
12 months old
• Puppies are now considered to have finished their development and growth rate and are viewed as adult dogs.
• Although sexually mature beforehand, a dog usually does not attain full growth until at least its first birthday.
DISCLAIMER: THE BREED POSTED ON OUR DOGS’ BIOGRAPHIES ARE OUR BEST GUESS BASED ON SEVERAL YEARS OF DOG RESCUE. ADOPTERS WHO NEED TO KNOW THE EXACT BREED OF A PARTICULAR DOG MUST HAVE THE DOG TESTED AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE.
Application instructions: click the link below to apply for adoption of this dog.
|Life Average||10-12 Years|
|Breed||German Shepard Mix/|
|Fee||All Shots & Transport 0|
|UTD||All Shots for 1 Year|
|Organization||Rescue Dog Village Guardian, Inc.|
VIDEO OF SASSY’S PUPS, THEIR NAMES ARE; NAOMI, MESHACH, MARY, ELIZABETH & ABEDNEGO. Sassy was rescued from a home where it was hard for them to make ends meet.
Click the expand button in the lower right corner of each video to view full-screen. See Cesar Millan’s tips on dog behavior.